Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Rambling Thoughts

October days have passed in numerous ways but it is evident that whatever pursuits have been occupying my time; writing and reflecting through this blog have not been among them. I would like to pause briefly and share a quotation I ran across that was attributed to C. S. Lewis:

”It is the immemorial privilege of letter-writers to commit to paper things they would not say; to write in a more grandiose manner than that in which they speak; and to enlarge upon feelings which would be passed by unnoticed in conversation.”


I have long treasured letters from a friend or loved one that can be re-read and contemplated long months or years after they were first penned. I also treasure memories of moments of quiet conversation together with special people. Like many people these days, I have expanded my communications menu to include e-mail, instant messenger dialogue, and, most recently, web logs. I wonder, however, if we lose something in the realm of written communication compared to the “letter-writer” referenced by Lewis. I don’t have any astute observations to pass along but some questions come to mind. Would I communicate in a thoughtful letter that which I might state in an IM conversation? Should I reflect longer before sending out an “instant” reaction to some assertion or feeling expressed through electronic communication? Is it conceivable that we might sometimes “protect” ourselves from some level of personal interaction inherent in “face to face” communication through using modern technology?


Again, I don’t have answers, although some opinions are “in process.” I see much of benefit in expanded means of communication (especially as a mother with a daughter living at college) but hope that we don’t reap an unexpected harvest in the area in interpersonal relationships through our reliance upon electronic communication. Relationships involve sharing of ourselves on many levels. Close relationships involve exposing our true person to another as we remove the masks behind which we have hovered for protection. Is this process facilitated or hindered by computerized messages? Do descriptions of our facial and bodily expression substitute effectively for actual observation of the person with whom we are conversing? While some such descriptions I’ve read have been quite humorous, I don’t really know whether they provide sufficient clues to all that may have been intended in the communication.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home